Thursday, July 1, 2010

State of the Union, Aspiring Writer Style

Yes, I was planning to reduce this to a West Wing based extended metaphor, but better sense reigned me in!

It's that time of year, Disney/ABC and NBC tell us to come running and bring our spec scripts! Today was the deadline, and fortunately, June provided me with a great model for my writing.

Since June was Pitchfest month (see previous post), I had to focus on my pilot for a period of about two weeks. Which was perfect because it had been back shelf-ed, so that my Disney/ABC/NBC spec script (Castle) could take precedent. It had time to cool off, get a clear head and clear eyes, and then be brought back to the front burner for a heated round of good edits and deciding how to pitch it.

Likewise, Pitchfest forced my Castle spec to the back burner while the pilot was center stage, and it got a short breather that allowed me to come back with a new attitude and outlook. Gone were my grumbled complaints that, "oh god, this sucks, am I really going to turn this in to Disney/ABC/NBC or anyone?!" and instead I was saying, "Okay, this scene doesn't work here, this beat needs to be funnier" etc.

The Castle spec was an absolute BLAST to write, by the way! Just enough drama, just enough comedy, and characters I really loved spending time with... though to be fair, Esposito gave me a few fits and I caught myself attempting to smack the back of the computer screen to get him to behave, lol! I'm hoping to get in a few more cooled off edits before Scriptapalooza in October, but once it's submitted, I'll add it to the available scripts on my website.

No comments:

Post a Comment