Saturday, July 17, 2010

Eureka 402 "A New World" Review

In what show creator Jamie Paglia and show runner Amy Berg are calling the second half of the season opener, the amazing reboot of the Eureka universe continues, this side dealing with the cold reality of how things are. Henry finds himself married to a woman who's name he couldn't remember just hours before. Tess is back in Jack's life. Allison's son Kevin is no longer autistic. And Fargo's in charge. Yeah, I'm stuck on that last one too!

There were some excellent comedic moments in this episode, from Grant somewhat creepily hitting on the robot Deputy Andy (played by Ty Olssen) to Fargo making Larry (Chris Jacot) stand on one leg, that brought back a lot of the fun humor that I loved from earlier seasons, mixed with the very real drama of Allison telling Carter that had she been able to, she would have destroyed the device that changed the time line and could convert it back, for the sake of her son. That fusion is one of the things I love most about Eureka, and I really loved seeing this episode hit it just right!

Jo Lupo (played by Erica Cerra) was an absolute home run performance for me. Her moment with Carter talking about her regret for freezing when Zane asked her to marry him, that somewhere out there in the universe is the fact that she never said yes, was absolutely brilliantly done. It made my heart break for her, then made my resolve for her to get her act together and win this Zane over even stronger.

Niggling the back of my mind and bothering me still is that no one has asked about Stark- is he still dead? When? Where? etc? I would think it would be a natural question that Allison would have dealt with pretty quickly. Which brings me to the next point, they need information! Time for the six to hit the books, do some research, figure out the holes in world history as well as personal history that need to be dealt with. Just a quick scene, Jack doing research on SARAH and baffling her would be enough, but it still needs to happen!

I really love the reboot, love that in spite of the idea of a reboot, we're back to the original feel and tone of the show--the chemistry and dynamics of the characters feel 100x more solid then where they were during season 3.5, and I'm laughing out loud at more than just Fargo again! I think last week's episode was the stronger of the two "beginning" season 4.0 parts, but that doesn't surprise me. Deconstructing and tearing apart the status quo is always more fun that the reality of having to deal with all the hurt feelings that chaos caused! But stronger than any season 3.5 episode, and stronger than the back half of season 3.0, which puts me firmly in the camp of "OMG, can't wait for next week!" which I will be enjoying from Comic-Con, so probably no review next week, or will do one with a rewatch early in the week (Mon or Tues) and a late review mid-week.

No comments:

Post a Comment