Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Eureka 403: "All the Rage" Review

I had the joy of watching this at Comic-Con with 100's, if not 1000's of other Eureka geeks, which was a truly kick-ass experience. A whole lots of laughing, cheering, and in some of the poignant moments, silence.

The episode style and horror movie homages made me incredibly happy, because they were incredibly well done, and as usual, I take my hat off to the amazing Rick Maguire. I like that Eureka isn't really going to go to the far absurd place of having actual zombies, dead rising, etc., but still could do an amazing tribute to the genre. I was holding out a little hope for a HOTD2 reference, but I think that one is just me!

I love that the writers used the episode to really let Jack and Tess fall apart, and to let Tess really get the realization first, and as she observed, he was too late in preventing her from watching it all unravel, because it very much did unravel for them. It felt very appropriate, especially since it seems from what she said, in this time line, they had been together for a year. Not sure how long it was supposed to be in the other time line, especially since there was a real lack of a sense of time continuity in season 3.5. I was never a fan of the Tess arc, but have to say, the last scene between Tess and Jack was played incredibly well by Jamie Rae Newman and Colin Ferguson. Beautiful scene!

On the flip side, the character of Grace Munroe is amazing! Love that she's playing pranks, love that she wanted to replace Henry's tools so she literally made them fall apart! She's great! And in the conclusion, Grant observing that Henry has a crush on his wife was awesome! I love that while others are deconstructing, you have Henry's plot line as a foil for them, something slowly starting to build in a very positive and fun way!

I hope I'm slowly not in the minority here, but Dr Grant just keeps winning me over more and more! He had some great moments in this episode, with the advice to Jack that got echoed at the end of the episode, which was played beautifully, and his observation that Henry had a crush on his wife was exactly the type of dry wit and humor I love. On the other extreme, the moment with Henry where he lets Henry see a little corner of his loneliness and hating being there was beautifully played. I know Callis is only supposed to be here for the 4.0 half of the season, but I wish they'd change their minds on that! Like Thorne, that's not enough time!!

I probably won't be too popular for saying this, but I'm not sure I get the hype over Wil Wheaton. I get that he's a big geek "in" thing, but I didn't feel he really added much to the episode. He didn't have the same engaged, dynamic, chemistry that I really love the other actors on the show for bringing to their work. He also didn't have a lot to work with, and had it been any other actor, I think Dr. Parrish as a character would have been utterly forgettable and unlikely to be brought back. Then again, from the very subdued reaction at the SDCC panel to announcing that he'd be back for more eps in the back 10, maybe I'm not the only one.

Jo and Zane's arc...wow. Still rooting for it hard, but really want to thwack someone upside the head (mostly Jo) and get her to stop ignoring him, and start trying to change things. Take him up on a bit of the innuendo, surprise him! And then I stop and realize that I used to be holding out hope for Fargo or Taggart to have a chance and am now actively rooting for Zane, so clearly, another aspect of the reboot that's working very well for the show!

Another good episode, though more of a routine episode and a bit overshadowed by the amazing work done of the first two episodes of the season. At SDCC, the writers confirmed that they're not sending us back out to the Eureka we used to know, that the new time line is here to stay, so that makes me incredibly happy. The reboot has really knocked Eureka back into my top show category, and I'm glad to have it back there!

No comments:

Post a Comment