Monday, November 2, 2009

NANO: Day: 02

One of my "essential" rules is a writing trick I picked up from the writing blog of the fabulous Jane Espensen (Buffy, Battlestar Galactica).

To keep a sense of momentum from day to day, never finish your last sentence for the night. Break your sentence in half, even though you know exactly what you want to say. In fact, it's better if you know what you want to say.

It's a trick to ward off the curse of the blinking cursor. When you open your document the next day, you aren't staring blankly at the screen, waiting to form the next words into a sentence or stalling out. Instead, the momentum starts again right away, because your first task is finishing your sentence from the night before. And the next often flows easily from there.

It sounds like a simple strategy, but it works well for me.

And I remind myself of that fact on nights like tonight where I hit a natural break, am tired, and it feels like time to pack it in. Instead I pressed on a little further and paused mid sentence and paragraph on the next part. I don't get too far into where I know I want to go either, so I have a good idea how to continue the next day. Sometimes the best stopping point is right before you get into a segment you have well planned and are excited to press into further.

Today's status:

No comments:

Post a Comment