Thursday, September 30, 2010

Just because I didn't kill myself doesn't mean I didn't feel like I was dying

In the wake of Tyler Clementi's Suicide, I wanted to share a great article, then take a moment on my soapbox, before giving you a link with a petition- you can, and should, do something.

Just because I didn't kill myself, doesn't mean I didn't feel like I was dying

Something's got to change. I'm no longer even sure of what it is, whose attitude or what laws have to shift, because there's so much hurt and injustice coming from all sides. I've heard a lot of people talking about how these bullies will only be charged with violating privacy and not involuntary manslaughter, and it surprises me to realize that hearing that makes me angry. Bullying someone into taking their life should have consequences.

But a few minutes later, I turn around and see that not only is it apparently an acceptable practice in the state of Michigan, a man with the district attorney's office can cyber bully a college student, calling it free speech. And he's not even going to be fired.

I've known students who didn't kill themselves, but they were dying, bit by bit with every slur, sometimes to the point of cutting and para-suicide actions. It's not uncommon; it's so common it hurts. I've been the teacher who was reprimanded for daring to punish those who used the slurs, for calling it hate speech. The protectors can't protect, the students suffer, and we're all waiting on the world to change.

Something has to change. I believe in free speech, but isn't this level of bullying and harassment akin to yelling fire in a crowded theatre? If you're ready to call this enough, just to start to get to the point that we can say it's too much to be borne, then consider signing the Human Rights Campaign petition to the Secretary of Education, to toughen anti-bullying programs.

No comments:

Post a Comment