Thursday, September 23, 2010

Happy Celebrate Bisexuality Day!!

Today I'm taking the opportunity today to share some great articles about bisexuality. Because even in the gay and lesbian community sometimes we're on the outside. And yes, I've had the argument with lesbian women before about bisexuality not existing- hello, here I am!! *waves* Nice to meet you. I exist. I'm not gay, I'm not straight, I'm bisexual.

First up, an article I really enjoyed not just for content, but because it was written by a former student of mine.

Bisexuality: The Punching-Bag Orientation

"Many people, straight or gay, understand gender preference with a Kinsey Scale mentality: a straight man likes women, a gay man likes men, and a bisexual man likes both. But bisexuality isn’t a gender preference for both genders; it’s a lack of gender preference for either. For most bisexuals, the gender of the person they find attractive is substantially less important than who that person is. We’re not in the middle of the Kinsey scale; we’re off the chart altogether."

And another great article I found thanks to GLADD and today's celebration:

Reflections on Bi Visibility and Coming Out

"As we heard from bisexual health expert Amy Andre, bisexual people have higher rates of suicidal ideation than gay or straight people. I have to think that the near constant onslaught of widely affirmed propaganda that we do not exist is a strong contributor to this."

Happy Celebrate Bisexuality Day! I hope it's an amazing day for you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment