Thursday, October 22, 2009

NANO: Day: T-Minus 9

A long day on set today, so not as much pre-planning and work as I'd have liked!

During my spare bits of time, most of which were sandwiched between working with this:


And shooting inside this:


(Yes, that's a '68 'Cuda and a military issue Humvee. Awesome.)

I sat in a director's chair, my notepad balanced on one knee and a character questionnaire on the other, diligently ignoring the gaffer, who was snoring slightly as he slept in his own director's chair next to mine. (I seriously debated drawing on his face, but the DP got there first!)

The character questionnaire I use isn't much special-- I picked it up in a workshop about a year ago at the Screenwriting Expo in Los Angeles. It gives you dozens of questions, starting out simple, like name, age, favorite color, and building to complex ones like ambitions, secrets, and things they're ashamed of. Then I go back through and ask the fun question: Why? Why is that the favorite color, parent their closer to, religion of choice?

So thanks to today's work, I can tell you that Tasha likes modern crime novels, is a huge fan of Val McDermid and anything with a crime fighting woman, and being a cog in a rather unique legal system, it's not surprising the fiction where justice is always served is especially appealing. Byron on the other hand, prefers his reading material classic, with a huge weakness for Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. This could be because he, like Holmes, is a bit arrogant and loves puzzles, or because he's a classic himself-- he was born in the 16th century.

...Did I mention my characters are dead?

No comments:

Post a Comment